Monday, April 27, 2009

The Forgotten Commandment

Since I deal with teens, I must say that one of their biggest struggles is honoring their parents. I know what they're all going through. Why? I've been a rebel myself. I've struggled with respecting and obeying my parents. I always wanted my way. Even when my sister didn't want what my parents had to say, she always managed to stay silent and obey. I am different. I always talked back at my parents. I disobeyed a lot of their orders. I wanted my way. I did it my way, as the song goes. hehehe!

Until GOD let me see a different life. A beautiful life. When I was transformed, I still had struggles but now, I can control myself more and GOD helps me a A LOT. Thinking of pleasing GOD is my top motivation in obeying, respecting and honoring my parents. I have 2 sisters. I am the only offspring left with my parents. I was the rebel and I was the one left with them. Ain't that neat? hehehe! I enjoy being with them. Although, sometimes, it can be challenging. hehehe!

I would like to share an email devotional I received today...

by Dennis and Barbara Rainey

The Forgotten Commandment (Part One)
Exodus 20:12
Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the Lord your God gives you.

During the early 1970s, I worked with teenagers in a ministry in Boulder, Colorado. One of my favorite messages to communicate to the teens was titled "How to Raise Your Parents." Actually I camouflaged the message behind the title. The real challenge was to obey God's commandment "Honor your father and your mother."

Every summer, dozens of young men and women would leave that particular message in tears, motivated to do a better job honoring their parents.
One young man handed me a note that affirmed the message of honoring parents:
I appreciated your talk today. It brought back some memories I have about my dad that I would like to share with you. Every day that I can remember, my dad took me and hugged me and kissed me good night.
I was with him the night he died. That night he hugged me and kissed me and told me he loved me, and I was too embarrassed to tell him that I loved him.
He died of a heart attack two and one-half hours later after I went to bed. I remember standing over his body saying, "Dad, I love you." But it was a couple of hours too late.

(not full article) If you wish to subscribe to this email devotional, please just click the image above or this ~> Christianity

This article really made me cry. I love my parents and if I have to live my life over again, I'd still choose to have them. If not for them, I won't be the person I am now. When I look at other people, they have different parental upbringing. My parents were strict because they want the best for me - for us. Now, I understand and I really appreciate everything. I'll listen to them more and honor them because they were established by GOD to be my parents.

Something I got from Our Daily Bread today...
• Always pray before planning.
• Always love people more than things.
• Do all things to please God.

ALL THE GLORY BELONGS TO GOD ALONE!!!

P.U.S.H.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH GOD!!!

Make an impact. Make a difference. Make a ripple. Tip the scale. Be a blessing. Be different.

GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY! GOD IS ALWAYS WITH YOU - NO MATTER WHAT!

When you feel GOD's love, OVERFLOW!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true! I also have struggled with talking back too. I don't like to back down, which can be a good thing in being a servant of Christ, bad thing when honoring your parents! lol Sometimes I need to swallow my pride and just tell my mom I love her. Thank you for posting this Hon!! You rock!! God bless~