Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Heart of True Worship


How do you know if you're worshipping GOD the right way?

As what my post title simply conveys, "The Heart of True Worship" means true worship can be found in the heart.

Your mouth might confess that you love GOD but do you really?

Let us talk about true worship. Have you examined yourself and asked yourself whether you are giving GOD true worship?



If used as an adjective, worship means excellence of character; dignity; worth; worthiness; honor; respect; obsequious or submissive respect; extravagant admiration; adoration.

GOD has revealed something to me months ago while I was singing praise and worship. The song line-up differ every Sunday. The worship team use alternate languages. For example, for this Sunday, English songs were used. Next Sunday, they'll be singing Filipino worship songs. And because I was brought up with English movies/shows, English books, English music as my mom is an English teacher so it was difficult for me to adapt to Filipino songs. Some of the Filipino worship songs were older than me. I do not know their lyrics and tunes. But then whenever the worship team had a Filipino line-up, there was a side of me that was disappointed. Amazingly, GOD revealed to me while I was praying, eyes closed while everyone around me was singing, that true worship doesn't have to depend upon the songs. What's important is the pure heart. So when I've memorized the lyrics while they were singing, I sang with everyone with a heart filled with awe of GOD. Second, sometimes the worship leader do not sing very well or doesn't sing in tune with the songs or sometimes makes mistakes that are very obvious. GOD makes me close my eyes while singing worship songs in one reason: to be able to focus on HIM and not on everyone else who surrounds me. True worship doesn't depend upon the songs leaders. We have different song leaders every week, by the way. hehehe! Third, sometimes we come to HIM with self-pity, feeling dirty and sinful. Before, I would feel that I do not deserve to sing worship songs because I have sinned a lot. That is not true worship. As what worship means worthiness. We give worship to GOD because HE is worthy of all our praise and worship, not because we are unworthy to give praise. True worship doesn't depend upon our unworthiness but our GOD deserves all the utmost praise and worship even to our lowliest state in life. The devil tries to steal our worship to GOD through our minds. Our mind is the battleground. If you do not control it and take hold of it, the devil will. The brain is connected to the heart so whatever our minds think, the hearts feel.



As what worship means when it is used as a noun: the act of paying divine honors to the Supreme Being; religious reverence and homage; adoration, or acts of reverence, paid to God. And as a verb: to respect; to honor; to treat with civil reverence; to pay divine honors to; to reverence with supreme respect and veneration; to perform religious exercises in honor of; to adore; to venerate; to honor with extravagant love and extreme submission, as a lover; to adore; to idolize.



As we can see, it is centered on a certain being whom we are giving worship to. For us, Christians, our focus is on GOD. Not on anyone or ourselves. As what a certain song states, "I will worship you for who YOU are." I certainly love this song!

I want to thank Cody (my honey) because GOD used him as a confirmation to tackle on this topic. I wasn't asking for any confirmation but GOD gave me 2 confirmations. Cody shared a sermon given by their preacher from one of their Sundays. It was about true worship. He shared that true worship is about what is inside your heart. Not about the song, song leader or even the preacher. Second confirmation was the service earlier, Pastor Eric Noche preached that true worship is not about being prejudice. We, Christians, should intercede rather than criticize (a revelation given to me about discernment). We, Christians, should only utter blessings not curses. And do not do what is not your calling or what GOD is not asking you to do. Pastor Eric reiterated on the story of Martha and Mary. Martha opened the door for JESUS but JESUS did not ask her to do anything for HIM but she still made herself busy. On the contrary, JESUS sat down with Mary who listened to HIM with all ears. A very nice revelation.



True worship is not just about talking but also listening to what GOD desires for you. Sometimes, our mind is busy thinking and battling with GOD and the other voices we can hear that we sometimes miss what the still, small voice is whispering to us. You will recognize the still, small voice when there is peace and joy. As what James 1:17 states, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." You will know HIS voice if you know HIS Word, if you read and meditate on HIS Word daily. HIS Word states everything that HE desires. Commands to obey. Partial obedience is still disobedience. Full obedience follows blessings and rewards. Though we should not be after the rewards. We should be after GOD's own heart. The heart of true worship focuses on GOD alone.

These are 2 songs that focus on GOD not on ourselves or what we are right now, what we have or what we can be but on who our GOD is.

The first one was revealed to me earlier. The other one is one of my favorite songs.



Lyrics:

How many roads did I travel
Before I walked down one that led me to You?
How many dream did unravel
Before I believed in a hope that was true?
How long? How far?
What was meant to fulfill only emptied me still
And all You ever wanted…

Only me on my knees
Singing holy, holy
And somehow
All that matters now is
You are holy, holy

How many deaths did I die
Before I was awakened to new life again?
How many half truths did bear witness to
‘Til the proof was disproved in the end?
How long? How far?
What was meant to illuminate shadowed me still

And all You ever wanted…
All I have is gratitude to offer You

Lyrics:

Standing here in Your presence
Thinking of the good things You have done
Waiting here patiently
Just to hear Your still small voice again

Holy, righteous, faithful to the end,
Saviour, Healer, Redeemer, and Friend

I will worship You for who You are
I will worship You for who You are
I will worship You for who You are
Jesus

My soul secure, Your promise sure
Your love endures always

True worship comes from the heart. A heart that only beats for our FATHER in heaven.

WORSHIP GOD ALONE WITH ALL OF YOU! GOD BE WITH YOU! GOD BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY!

Make an impact. Make a difference. Make a ripple. Tip the scale.

ALL THE GLORY BELONGS TO GOD ALONE!!!

P.U.S.H.

When you feel GOD's love, OVERFLOW!

Images in this post are from fotosearch

No comments: