Sunday, September 21, 2008

Genuine Repentance (September 14, 2008)

Preached by Pastor Windsor Cabrera

Acts 2:38
Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19
"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,"

Not all repentance is genuine.

Definitions of Repentance
a.) be sorry: to recognize the wrong in something you have done and be sorry about it
b.) change ways: to feel regret about a sin or past actions and change your ways or habits
c.) from the Greek word "metanoia" = change of mind
d.) repentance begins in CHRIST and should become a lifestyle

Seven Ingredients of a Genuine Repentance

1.) Conviction of the Holy Spirit
Hebrews 4:12
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

a.) conviction of the Holy Spirit upon hearing the Word of GOD
b.) example: people at the preaching of Peter
Acts 2:37
When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

When GOD speaks to you, you have to do something.

2.) Acknowledgement of Sin
Psalm 32:5
Then I acknowledged my sin to you
and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, "I will confess
my transgressions to the LORD "—
and you forgave
the guilt of my sin.
Selah

a.) taking full responsibility of sin, blaming no one but self
b.) example: David
Psalm 51:3
"For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me."

3.) Be sorry
Psalm 6:6
"I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears."

a.) expressing Godly sorrow
b.) Psalm 38:18
"I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin."

Godly sorrow worketh repentance.

4.) Confession
Psalm 38:18
"I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin."

a.) confession of sin = admission of wrong to GOD and to man

True repentance is by going to the person personally.

5.) Hate and Forsake Sin
2 Chronicles 7:14
"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

a.) hatred toward sin and total change of direction
Isaiah 55:7
"Let the wicked forsake his way
and the evil man his thoughts.
Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon."

b.) examples:
i. the prodigal son left the pig pen
ii. Joseph ran away from Potiphar's wife

Divine hatred towards sin. Treat sin like manure. Be disgusted with sin. Don't be like a dog that is tied that goes back to its manure.

6.) Make Restitution
Luke 19:8
But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, "Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount."

a.) Make everything right. Give back what is taken.

No more remedies. Confess.

7.) Ask GOD for a Clean Heart
Psalm 51:10
"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."

a.) desire for a pure heart
b.) Peter's repentance vs. Judas' repentance
Peter
Luke 22:16
3x denial = 3x questioning of love

Judas - remorse repentance; he took the matters into his own hand

Give people the freedom to commit mistakes and learn from those mistakes.

Make an impact. Make a difference. Make a ripple. Tip the scale.

If you committed a mistake to someone today, go to that person and ask for forgiveness blaming no one. Whether the person forgives you or not, surrender the matter to GOD and HE will give you HIS amazing grace. HE will take care of the rest.

GOD BE WITH YOU! GOD FORGIVES ALWAYS!

ALL THE GLORY BELONGS TO GOD ALONE!!!

P.U.S.H.

When you feel GOD's love, OVERFLOW!

No comments: